Origin of Railroad Bridge Park and its Facilities: The Dungeness River Audubon Center at Railroad Bridge Park is an active partnership of four organizations operating under an MOU renewed and enhanced in summer 2001.
History and Design of the Bridge: Grading for the the Railroad Bridge and the railroad bed started in January 1914, from the west side of the river with equipment and materials brought by ships and barges to Port Angeles. The Chicago, Milwaukee, and St Paul Railway, later called the Milwaukee Road, built the bridge. The timber for the bridge was cut at railroad saw mills maybe in the northwest but possibly in the Midwest.
Railroad Landmark Tour – In its heyday, the Milwaukee Road carried both freight and passengers. It transported logs from Twin Rivers, Elwha and Joyce; manganese from the Crescent mine, manufactured product from Port Angeles, lumber from Carlsborg, and manufactured and farm products from Sequim. You can follow its route on this interactive map.
The History of the Dungeness Area, Part 1: The discovery of the Strait is credited to a Spanish vessel under the command of Juan de Fuca in 1592. The first known exploration and mapping of the length of the Strait was in 1790 in a Spanish ship commanded by Manuel Quimper.
The History of the Dungeness Area, Part 2: During recent decades, the Dungeness watershed has been the focus for numerous committees, studies, and government projects. This section summarizes the important groups and events that have focused on environmental protection and management.